Apply by March 6th for the 2017 Program
Students from NC State’s strategic partner universities are invited to apply for the GEAR summer program by the March 6th deadline. Participating students will do laboratory research at NC State from July 5 – August 4, 2017.
Qualified undergraduate students will study and perform research under a faculty mentor at NC State. The program will:
- Introduce students to different aspects of research (planning experiments, managing time, ethical issues, summarizing results, and presentation skills)
- Introduce students to mentors that can make a big difference in their future academic development
- Support students as they determine if they are truly interested in pursuing a graduate degree that involves research
- Enable students to work on projects of interest while gaining cross-cultural experiences
- Help students meet distinguished individuals at the University, and make contacts that can last a lifetime
- Provide cultural excursions and weekend trips to learn more about life at a U.S. university and U.S. culture
The GEAR ExperienceApplication and Program Details
Experience Life in a Research Hub
North Carolina State University is located in the beautiful city of Raleigh and is right next to the world famous Research Triangle Park. It is well known for its research in the areas of biotechnology, agricultural, environmental an biomedical engineering, physics and veterinary sciences.
Focus on Research
Participants are paired with faculty mentors whose specialties range from agriculture to engineering, where they conduct research on a small independent project or assist with ongoing research. The program culminates with students presenting at the Undergraduate Research Symposium.
Students will experience American culture and enjoy weekend and evening excursions. The program fee includes field trips to local attractions and events with NC State students. Students reflect on these experiences, resulting in a final participation grade.
For NC State Faculty
Become a Faculty Mentor
The success of the GEAR program relies on dedicated faculty mentors, who lead international students through the research process for five weeks during the summer. The program is always seeking new faculty from a variety of disciplines. Participating students are high achievers and many choose to apply for graduate school at NC State. Make a difference in the life of a future global leader and become a mentor this summer.
Students should contact their home university during the application period and not contact NC State until they are accepted to the program.
Research Program Director
Contact for information relating to Research and Final Projects
Dr. Sunny Liu
Student Program Director
Contact for application and logistical questions
Ms. Anna Dunaway
Office of International Affairs
Tel: 919- 513-2732