2017 Call for Nominations Now Open
This award encourages and recognizes outstanding accomplishment in globally engaged teaching, research, extension, and/or engagement and economic development by faculty and EHRA professionals of North Carolina State University.
This is open to all current full-time faculty and EHRA professionals of NC State University. Nominees should have a well-established and ongoing record of international activities while working at NC State, demonstrated by regularly going above and beyond normal job responsibilities. Such activities should include several of the following: individual and/or collaborative international research, teaching, or program development, the promotion of student involvement in global activities, accomplishments in international extension, service on international boards and task forces, consulting, publications and/or performances. Up to three awards will be made annually to NC State faculty and EHRA professionals. Award recipients received $1,500 towards future international travel.
Past Jackson Rigney International Service Award recipients are NOT eligible for the Outstanding Global Engagement Award. Previous Outstanding Global Engagement Award recipients are eligible to be nominated for the Jackson Rigney award in the future.
Criteria for Award
Evidence of International Activity: Any international partnerships cited must be meaningful and beneficial collaborations between the University and partners and communities abroad. Outstanding international activity includes enhancing global perspectives that enable our graduates to be competitive in the work force, international research that advances our reputation as a leading university, and/or global extension and engagement that allows for meaningful impact in the lives of individuals throughout the world.
Nominees for this award should have made important international contributions in one or more of the following aspects of the university’s mission:
- Research and Discovery: The extent to which the faculty or staff member’s research has made a significant contribution to his/her discipline, through the creation or discovery of new knowledge and how that work involved international collaboration and activities.
- Teaching and Learning: The extent to which the faculty or staff member’s teaching increased student awareness of international issues and/or involved them in academic activities abroad. The committee will also review the extent to which courses with international content (including study abroad courses) served as models for future courses in the curriculum.
- Engagement, Extension and Economic Development: The extent to which the international activities cited in the nomination raised NC State’s profile as a major land-grant university, the benefits derived from them, and documented evidence of outcomes. Significant engagement programs, mentoring exchange partners, and economic development programs are to be included here.
- Impacts and Accomplishments: Documentation of evaluated impacts of the nominee’s international efforts upon the target audience(s), including the collaborators and NC State Community will be considered in the selection of award recipients.
Each College or Administrative Division may select up to two individuals for nomination (one faculty member and one EHRA professional). The College Dean or Department Administrator must submit nomination packages. The members of the International Operations Council will review all nominees and make the final decision regarding award selections. Send the following materials to the Office of International Affairs at firstname.lastname@example.org by the March 1, 2017 deadline:
- Nomination Form containing basic information about the nominee and nominator.
- Nomination Letter, which should be submitted by the College Dean or Department Administrator (for example: Alumni, Libraries, etc.).
- Nominee’s Curriculum Vitae – should emphasize the impact that the nominee’s international activities have had on the NC State Community.
- Nomination Deadline: Wednesday, March 1, 2017 at 5:00 pm
- Award Announcement & Ceremony: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 from 11:00 am – 1:00 pm
All nominees and award recipients will be honored at the Global Engagement Exposition.
2017 NOMINATION FORM